Our precious water heaters can be expensive to replace. It is imperative to perform proper maintenance to extend their lifespan. Installing a water heater pan is highly recommended as it help .protect your home from water damage caused by leaks or spills from your water heater. However, there are the top two materials in the market to choose from—rubber and metal. These two are the most popular options that serve similar purposes of preventing floods caused by water heaters.
Now, there are things to consider before choosing the right one for you. Here’s the battle between rubber vs metal water heater pan and a guide before coming up with an informed decision:
What is a Water Heater Pan?
Before anything else, you should know exactly what a water heater pan is and what it does. It’s a shallow tray designed to catch any leaks and spills from the tank, protecting the surrounding area from water damage. In many regions, a water heater pan is required by building codes, especially in places known to have severe water problems.
Rubber Water Heater Pans
This material is flexible, durable, and can fit surfaces that are irregular. This is a great choice for tight and uneven spaces. Rubber water heater pans are easy to handle and install because they are lightweight.
Advantages of Rubber Water Heater Pans
Here are some advantages that rubber water heater pans offer:
- Flexibility: It can bend and fit tight or uneven surfaces
- Lightweight: It’s Easier to handle and install
- Durability: It can withstand heavy use and generally lasts long
Disadvantages of Rubber Water Heater Pans
There are still disadvantages that come with rubber heater pans and here are the ones you should know:
- Limited Temperature Range: It can melt from extreme heat.
- Limited Capacity: Since it’s lightweight and small, it is not suitable for large water heaters.
- Prone to Punctures: Sharp objects can easily puncture it
Metal Water Heater Pans
Water heater pans made from aluminum or galvanized steel are durable and last longer in protecting against water damage. Made with firm materials, they can handle more weight hence why it’s a good choice for large water heaters.
Advantages of Metal Water Heater Pans
Since metal is known to be more durable, here are the advantages of metal water heater pans:
- Durability: It can withstand heavy use and generally lasts longer.
- High-Temperature Range: It can withstand extreme heat.
- Large Capacity: Since it’s bigger, it holds more capacity and is appropriate to install for large water heats.
Disadvantages of Metal Water Heater Pans
Just like any other material, there are several disadvantages. Here are some for metal water heater pans:
- Heavier: Metal water pans are heavy and may be harder to install
- Prone to Corrosion: metal can corrode from too much exposure to moisture.
- Limited Flexibility: It cannot be bent to fit in tight or uneven spaces.
Now that you know the main differences between rubber and metal water heater pans, it’s time for you to weigh the pros and cons depending on what type of water heater you have. You will need this in the long run so be sure to know each material before coming up with a final decision.